Getting ready to apply
- Review and assess academic record and advise on curriculum.
- Standardized testing advice.
- Recommended course work for 9th through 12th graders.
- Initial search of colleges that match your criteria. A personalized list of schools from “reaches” to “safety schools.”
- Student evaluation and individualized profile to help you stand out from the crowd. Helps you focus on your strengths for applications, essays and interviews!
- Summer planning options.
- Extracurricular activity advice
- Monthly checklist of what you should be doing and “friendly reminders” to stay on track.
- College visit planning, suggestions and coordination, for sophomores through seniors.
The application process
- Refining your list of schools.
- Getting recommendations.
- Identifying and communicating special talents/circumstances.
- Choosing the right admissions plan – Early Action, Early Decision, Regular Decision (and what to do if you’re “deferred”).
- Help with essays, both common application and supplemental college essays.
- Mock interviews with coaching for on campus or alumni interviews.
- Help for students with special needs.
- Spring consultation: Final decisions, wait lists, etc.
College essay writing
A strong college application essay can make a significant difference in how a college or university selects a student for admission. Creating a well-written essay that is both appealing and appropriate for the task is critical to stand out from the everyone else. Jump Start Tutoring can provide prospective college students with the guidance that is necessary to prepare an impressive application essay.